Monday, July 02, 2007

Who is Better at Picking All Stars?

Really, who is better at picking an all star team - the fans or the players?

In my opinion there has always been an undertone of disrespect for the selections that the fans make. So, here we are in the new era of All Star selection - fans still pick the starting position players, but the players get to pick most of the reserves. Prior to the tied all star game in 2002 the selections of the reserve players were done entirely by the managers World Series teams during the prior season.

So here were are in the National League with several catchers having solid years. It seems that a Major League Baseball All Star is defined by his year-to-date performance, so I will only address the 2007 stats that the NL backstops have put up.

The Los Angeles Dodgers of Los Angeles catcher Russell Martin was selected to start by the fans - he leads NL catchers with a .297 batting average, 53 RBI, 9 HR (tied with Michael Barrett), runs scored, stolen bases, doubles (tied with Brian McCann), and hits. He has thrown out 36.5% of those who have tried to steal a base on him.

The players selected Atlanta Braves catcher McCann as the reserve catcher. Now, don't get me wrong. I'll take McCann on my ball club any day of the week. I love the guy...not love love, just love - ya know, kinda like Pete Orr. But McCann ain't no All Star - not this year. Here are the catchers with a higher batting average than McCann: Martin, Bengie Molina, Yadier Molina, Paul Lo Duca, Johnny Estrada, Carlos Ruiz, Brad Ausmus, and Josh Bard. Yes, that's right, there are 8 National League catchers who have a higher batting average than McCann. That puts McCann's average in the bottom half.

The only offensive categories that McCann is near the top in are doubles (19, ties for first with Martin), home runs (7, tied for 5th with 3 others), and RBI (41, third). McCann has thrown out 20.5% of would be base stealers. Sorry Brian, not this year.

If I were a player I would have voted for...drum roll please...B. Molina and his .289 batting average, 8 HR, 44 RBI, 76 H, and 26.3% caught runner stealing rate. I considered Johnny Estrada (7 HR, 33 RBI, .281 Avg, 29 R, 72 H), but his 19.5% rate of catching basestealers turned me off. I also thought about Paul Lo Duca (.285 Avg, 5 HR, 24 RBI, 74 H), but B. Molina's stats were stronger over all.

But what do I know, I'm just a fan.

Next topic will be the NL All Star Shortstops.

No comments: